fedora teething problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 29 23:49:09 UTC 2004

Henry Widd wrote:
> Hi, recently got fedora on my pc - very good. Well
> done whoever makes it!
>
> Few probs to solve though...if anyone knows the answer
> pls help me...
>
> 1. I get my ip address dynamically, so my /etc/hosts
> file is empty - but fedora complains about this on
> start up. What should go in there...? just my
> hostname? hostname and any old address?

At the minimum, /etc/hosts should have:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain localhost

> 2. The bottom of a Mozilla browser is covered by the
> start bar. How can I make it open so it fits within
> the window space? (It is impossible to size it down by
> hand because you can't get hold of the bottom of it).

Click in the middle box in the upper right-hand corner to "demaximize"
the window.  You can then grab the top of the window to resize DOWN,
then grab the title bar and move it to the top of your screen.

> 3. And if you are still reading...the auto-update ia
> great for fedora packages etc, but what abput
> something like Ogle dvd player. As yet, I have had to
> search for the rpm, then look for its dependencies...
> and so on. Surely this is not the way to do it? surely
> it can be done automatically?

Until Ogle is put into the standard distribution, you need to fetch it
manually.  If the RPM is found in the same spot (freshrpms, freshmeat,
whatever) and they support either apt or yum, you can add it to the
appropriate config file and look for it automatically.

> Do you Yahoo!?

No, and I wish those rat b*stards would stop adding this crapola to
the end of messages.  Ditto with msn and aol.
-   Whoever said "Money can't buy friends" obviously never brought   -
-                        donuts to the office.                       -