RHCE

Mike Jang michael at ywow.org
Thu Apr 29 23:55:56 UTC 2004

Dear Matthew,

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 19:31, Matthew Miller wrote:
> PS: the "c'mon just admit it" is rhetorical and not meant to be directed at
> Mike. I realized after sending that the tone might be misunderstood --
> sorry.

I appreciate the consideration. I did not take offense.

However, I wrote my note understanding that people feel strongly on both
sides of the issue - pro-RHCE and pro-LPI. While I think the RHCE
provides the most valid measure of any cert exam, I do want to recognize
the efforts of the people behind LPI.

The RHCE exam is not cheap to take - or to give. However, I think it is
good enough for hiring managers to use - and people like Chadley's
supervisor to use to qualify people's basic administrative skills on
Linux.

Multiple choice exams are an economical way to test the basic skills of
a large number of people. There is a demand to qualify a large number of
people in Linux skills. And I think the LPI is as good as they come -
for a multiple choice exam. Is it good enough to help hiring managers
qualify Linux sysadmins? As I am not a hiring manager, I would rather
not comment.

Thanks,
Mike