sysadmin books

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Fri Apr 30 01:44:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 05:17, duncan brown wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on sysadmin books to fill in my
> recently cleaned-out collection.  i need recommendations on the following
> subjects:

One of my hobbies is reading and buying technical books; I own
bookshelves full costing thousands.. heh :p

> sendmail (or any other mta)

There's "Sendmail" - the "Bat Book" which is the definitive reference.
There's a recently released "Postfix", also from O'reilly.
There's a rather old "Exim" book, agin from O'reilly.
And Oreilly has also just released an "Exim" book. (I'm a big fan of
O'reilly you see..)

> system security

I would recommend "Practical Unix & Internet Security" by(you guessed
it) O'reilly. Also good is "Hacking Linux Exposed SE".(By Osbourne)

> apache

"Apache Cookbook" although this is for specific "recipes" in the
Cookbook series style from O'reilly. You'd proabbly need an
accompaniment for more detail, but the Cookbooks are great for quick and
effective solutions to common real problems/tasks.

HTH
Regards,
-Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.