printer not listed

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Fri Apr 30 02:35:44 UTC 2004

I think I found the answer.  The file is a .ppd which gzipped in
/usr/share/cups/model/

I wanted to see if there was a PPD file for Linux for the Lexmark
e323.

All I see is a binary driver for older redhat systems.

I also see PPD's for Mac, IRIX, Solaris, SCO, etc., but no PPD for
Linux.  Would the driver for this printer listed as a Redhat 7.3
driver contain the .ppd file?  or would any of the other PPD files
work with Fedora and Cups?

The main reason for the post was to find the correct file identified
by the file extension .ppd.  Then compare the generic postscript.ppd
which is gzipped postscript.ppd.gz to the PPD file for this specific
printer!

Here is the lexmark page with all the drivers for this printer.  As I
understand it, I do not need the old driver listed as Redhat/SUSE
driver.  nor do I need the MarkVision software for the printer to
work.

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:366:0:0&searchMethod=StandardSearch

The generic postscript ppd works fine.  However, I wanted to see if it
was missing anything that a correct ppd file for this printer would
provide and then after everything is checked out, I could then add the
ppd and this printer would show up specifically in the listed
printers.

Hum, are all ppd files the same for different operating systems,
taking into account it's a text file and different os's terminate
lines differently?  I also assume the PPD is a text file?

jay