The easiest way to migrate to another (bigger) hard drive?

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 30 07:05:21 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Or (on the existing system):
>
>     # cd /
>     # tar cvpP -x /dev -x /proc -f /dev/st0 *
>
> And on the new system, install the the system and
>
>     # tar xvpPkf /dev/st0
>
> It's clunky, but it works--assuming the new system is already bootable.
>

> Yup.  Sure is.

Hi Rick,

This may actually work..

Just one issue unless I am missing something..

In the restore you used a "k" option to keep existing files and not
overwrite them.. Does this mean that for example all the existing files
in /etc would not be restored? which would mean all user accounts and
custom settings would not be available on the new drive.. Also all logs
/var/log/* would not be restored either..

I guess they would have to be restored manually.. :(

Later..