Taming the mailing lists?

- Edwin - copperwa11s at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Apr 30 07:56:39 UTC 2004

Hi Rodolfo,

(I think you just replied to the wrong person/message :) but
anyway... )

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:31:19 -0600
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:

> At 23:33 4/29/2004, you wrote:
> > > 1) Add a mailing list tag to the subject [FC],
> ><snip>
> > > This little change will help new arrivals and if short
> > > will pose no pain on others.
>
> Not true. It's been discussed for *years*, and every time
> the conclusion is that the headers provide guidance as to
> which list is which, and that users can/should filter and
> file using whatever mechanism they please, but that the
> subject tags are not the panacea they look like. In short,
> they're not in use because they're not useful. They *look*
> useful, but every smaller list on which I participate has
> eventually removed them as being more pain than gain.

Well, IMHO, and if we're talking about "new arrivals" here,
don't you think it'd be easier for them to "scan" which
subjects/messages belong to the Fedora List?

I'm sure not all beginners know how to filter messages. And,
if they decided to use filtering then it'd be easier for them
to set it up. (i.e. move all messages with [FC] on subject
line to folder "foobar", etc.)

[...]

--

- E -