LVM-Howto [Was : what are the restrictions on bootablepartitions?]

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Apr 30 08:43:56 UTC 2004

sadmin-guide/ch-lvm.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/c
h-lvm-intro.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-lvm.
html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-lvm-
intro.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-lvm-in
tro.html

Thanks for the links.. I will look into it.. I also went to the sistina
page and read that I need to execute some script called devmap_mknod.sh. I
can't
seem to locate these scripts. I already have lvm and lvm2 installed.

and it seems when I run dmsetup, it tells me it can't locate
/dev/mapper/control.
(Me thinks it needs the devmap_mknod.sh file)

>    I did install FC1 with Software Raid 5 and LVM on top of it, but doing
so on less
>than three physical disks results to up to 5 times slower transfer (because
of the
>raid). If you have 3 disks read speed increases and the write speed is
almost the
>same. Using ReiserFS I was able to resize 61G LV to 64G LV without errors.
With
>ext3 it worked, but fsck.ext3 had a lot of work to do (the partition was
~50G full).
>I hope one day online resize will work with bouth and reiserfs will get
more stable
>with acl and SELinux support.
>    http://www.aplawrence.com/Linux/lvm.html
>    ps: putting the /boot partiton ouside the LVM worked fine for me.

Actually for me, this is a notebook and I just want some simple things.
I heard of Lvm and I want to make it such tat it's less painful for me to
move/resize partitions around whenever one gets full.

I don't want to keep running qt_parted and having to reboot the machine and
what not. Esp if it's my root partition and then grub's gonna complain.
:-(