NIC Selection

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Fri Apr 30 15:14:16 UTC 2004

That's not taken care of by Mozilla, rather by your routing setup.  Check out
the output of:

netstat -nr

That's your routing table.  By default, when an interface comes up on an IP, an
interface route is added through that interface for that IP network - so if your
eth0 came up on 10.0.1.2/24, you'd see a route in there for 10.0.1.0/24 through
eth0 - then there is the default (0.0.0.0) route. That's usually the route that
matches any network that is not directly connected.  So if you had a default
route through say 10.0.1.1, your internet traffic would want to be routed thru
10.0.1.1 - to get to 10.0.1.1, IP knows that it has to use eth0, so the traffic
goes out eth0 destined for 10.0.1.1.

Or maybe you're just asking about where the NIC's get configured?  That info is
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts - check out ifcfg-* in that directory.  Also,
your default route is set by the GATEWAY entry in /etc/sysconfig/network.

Hope this helps!
Martin