disk problems or false alarm??

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 30 23:18:48 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 01.05.2004 schrieb Guolin Cheng um 00:51:

> Hi, William,
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  Then how to increase PCI IDE disk speed through adjusting PCI bus
> speed? What I've said is: even I tried to improve PCI bus speed by
> specifying "idebus=66", the sustainable PCI IDE disk data transfer speed
> is still about 33MB/s, while the hard disks themselves may be capable of
> providing higher speed. Thanks.
>
> I definitely know apple and orange, both fruits are my favorite. :)
>
> Guolin Cheng

Do not play with idebus=XX setting, it's pointless. Instead run "hdparm
-i /dev/hdX" where X is the drive letter. It will print with which mode
and at which speed rate the drive actually works:

 PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5

This example shows the drive is capable or PIO mode, DMA modes and UDMA
modes. And it shows that the current mode and speed is UDMA5.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 01:16:05 up 4 days, 4 users, load average: 1.48, 0.52,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]