Any recommendations Shuttle or Biostar SFF and FC2?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Aug 1 08:32:51 UTC 2004

Am So, den 01.08.2004 schrieb Jesus M. Rodriguez um 04:02:
> I'm looking at buying a Shuttle or Biostar SFF machine and putting FC2
> on it as a file server.  I'm looking at one of the older ones that has
> can use an AMD Athlon or a P4 either one.
>
> I want one with on board video .....
> So if anyone has any experience with FC2 and any SFF machine please
> either .....

I use a Shuttle XPC SN86G4 (Athlon 64, xforce3 chipset) which works very
fine with FC2 (64 bit as well as 32 bit version). Anaconda successfully
detected and configured all hardware components. I don't know about the
onboard SIL SATA because I don't use it but I know about several
difficulties with SATA in general.

The quality of the case is very good. I was a little bit disappointed
about the fan of the heat pipe (too much noise - for me). I replaced it
by a pabst model. Another (minor) source of noise is the fan of the
power supply. If noise is an issue you should decide for a model with
the newer poser supply (2 smaller fans).

Some older (and cheaper) models use mainboards with an ATI chipset which
as I was told are not supported by Linux.

It might be a good idea to use a cheap graphics adapter (like Matrox
millenium) instead of onboard video. You gain much more flexibility and
even the quality of 2d or simple graphic screen is much better in
general.

Peter