gnome-settings-dameon crashes when I log in as root

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 16:06:25 UTC 2004

I just reinstalled fc2 (complete reinstall, no files from old install)
and then logged in as root to setup the system and updated with red
carpet. I then created my own user account and stuff. All seemed well,
but now when I try to log in as root, the settings dameon crashes. It
works when I log in as a normal user, so I don't know what is wrong. It
works fine logging in as root in KDE, but I am used to using gnome and
would like to get it set up first before I start playing with KDE.
Please help!

BTW, is it possible to configure default desktops for each user, like
root defaults to gnome, bob uses KDE, john doe uses whatever...?