2.6.7 Kernel and SATA drive

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Fri Aug 6 16:21:30 UTC 2004

I just upgraded my kernel from 2.6.6 to 2.6.7, and when it tried to
mount my second drive (which is on a Sil 3112 SATA controller), I got
the message "/dev/hde1: invalid block device". I tired to manually mount
the drive and got the same message. I rebooted the 2.6.6 kernel, and the
drive mounted fine. Looking at the logs, the 2.6.7 kernel identified the
drive as a scsi drive, which is now sda1. I rebooted the 2.6.7 kernel,
mounted the drive using /dev/sda1, edited my fstab file,  and all is fine.

Just thought I would let everyone else know about this, since I had not
seen anything mentioned about this feature.