HP ze4600 series keyboard hanging on FC2 install process

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 9 03:14:59 UTC 2004

Rodrigo Malara wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running FC1 on my notebook and it is ok.
> In order to upgrade from FC1 to FC2, I booted from FC2 first CD.
>
> Then it shows the screen asking for options. I just hit Enter and the
> installation process began, but my keyboard stopped working from that
> point.
>
> I can't even go through the screen that asks if you want to test the
> media before continuing. Ctrl+Alt+Del don't work too. My only options is
> to keep the power button pressed for about 5 seconds to get the machine
> booted.
>
> When I installed the FC1, I had to keep hitting the keyboard during the
> kernel load to get it recognized, but this procedure didn't work with
> FC2.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Rodrigo Malara
> PS: sorry about my poor english

You have to go into BIOS and disable USB legacy support. I have an HP
ze4315us and had the exact same symptoms. It is awfully hard to work w/o
a keyboard.

I believe the USB legacy support messes with making USB fake PS2, for
really old operating systems, which don't understand with USB devices
like MSDOS, etc. You should not see any difference in the way things
work on your to be installed FC2 system, without legacy in BIOS.

Also, try entering "linux acpi=on" at the boot prompt. I needed to
disable USB legacy support and also assure that acpi=on was in my kernel
for things to work right.

No problem w/ poor English, I'm a native speaker and know mine could
improve also.

Jim

--
Logic doesn't apply to the real world.