Not able to boot Fedora 2 after ghosting XP

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Mon Aug 9 04:21:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:36:14 +1000, Carl Nicholls wrote
>     I am a new Linux beginner, I installed Core 2 and it was running OK, I had trouble with windows XP and ghosted back copy of XP and this was a copy before I installed Core 2, the result is XP boots OK but not Core 2. I can using install Core 2 DVD get into linux rescue and have the prompt "sh-2.05b# "  this is the limit of my knowledge re Linux, I need help with instructions and syntax to redo the booting instructions in Linux.
>
> Carl Nicholls

Your boot sector got clobbered when you ghosted you winXP. Boot FC2 and go into the rescue mode. Then cd to the boot/grub directory and run:

grub-install /dev/hda (Assuming the drive is hda)

Reboot the system and you should see the gurb screen again

Wolf