can ATI driver 3.11.1 be used with FC2?

Richard D. Duncan duncric at iit.edu
Mon Aug 9 14:10:51 UTC 2004

I got the ATi drivers to work (finally) in FC2 by following the Fedora FAQ instructions to the letter.  I'm running full OpenGL acceleration, and UT2004 is awesome in Linux.  The key for me was to:

A) Make sure you do not try to install and build the kernel module fglrx before applying the patches, and don't run fglrxconfig until after this is done (the module properly built).  I found that if you just tried installing the RPM and running fglrxconfig, a version of the fglrx module would build and load, but it wouldn't be properly set for 3D acceleration, so that wouldn't work.  As well, since the module was then loaded, you couldn't rebuild it (Module in use errors.  If you get these, use rmmod fglrx to stop it).

B) Check the Xorg.log.0 file if this still doesn't work.  I went round and round try to figure it out when finally I noticed that Xorg wasn't even loading the module.  fglrxconfig builds a XF86Config-4, which you need to link or rename as Xorg.conf (be sure to backup the existing Xorg.conf just in case something goes wrong).

Also, when you run fglrxconfig, make sure you set your mouse to /dev/input/mice.  FC2 apparently deviates from the default /dev/mouse.

Hope this helps.
Richard Duncan