FC2 - K3b problem with Plextor DVD Writer - was Re: What dvd writers are Fedora compatible?

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 01:36:18 UTC 2004

Mick Mearns wrote:

>--- Gerry Tool <gstool at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>System
>>-----------------------
>>K3b Version:0.11.12
>>KDE Version: 3.2.2-6 Red Hat
>>QT Version: 3.3.2
>>
>>growisofs
>>-----------------------
>>Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/gerry/FC2-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/hdd
>>obs=32k seek=0'
>>:-( Failed to change write speed: 8310->11080
>>
>>growisofs comand:
>>-----------------------
>>/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdd=/home/gerry/FC2-i386-DVD.iso
>>-use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -speed=8
>>

>Hi;
>  have you updated your software since you installed FC2?
>There are a lot of updates, this is my system:
>
>[mick at athlon mick]$ rpm -qa cd*
>cdecl-2.5-29
>cdparanoia-devel-alpha9.8-20.1
>cdrdao-1.1.8-3
>cdparanoia-alpha9.8-20.1
>cdp-0.33-31
>cdlabelgen-2.6.1-2
>cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1
>cdicconf-0.2-7
>cdparanoia-libs-alpha9.8-20.1
>cdrecord-ProDVD-2.01a27-1
>cdda2wav-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1
>cdrecord-devel-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1
>
>most of my kde is 3.2.2-2
>
>[mick at athlon mick]$ rpm -qa k3b*
>k3b-0.11.12-1
>note I installed from tar.gz or .bz2 and it is really
>k3b-0.11.13

My FC2 system on which I tried the burn was fully updated.  Since that
time, I tried again in FC3T1 which has version  k3b-0.11.12-2, and was
able to successfully burn the  FC2 .iso with no errors, specifying the
speed as 2.4x.  The Verbatim medium for that burn supports 1x-4x.  The
resulting DVD fails the mediacheck in FC2 anaconda (as does the one I
burned in Windows XP with Roxio CD Creator 6), but it installs FC2 just
fine.

>What does "settings - configure k3b - devices" show?
>is it correct for your burner?

It does show the listing for my burner.  However the line that says
Writes DVD+R(w)s says "no", and that is the media type that I am using
successfully.  I wonder how this data is obtained; that line is
obviously in error for this drive.  The rest of the listing seems proper.

>I have burned FC3-T1.iso just fine.
>
>Are you sure about your hardware setup (master/slave - pri/sec)
>I have noticed that some drives come defaulted to cable-select.
>/dev/hdd should be a secondary slave and be jumpered as such, using the
>middle cable connector (80 pin).

Yes, it came as Master, but the drive I replaced it with was set as
Slave, so I changed it to Slave when I installed it.

>Mick

Thanks for your reply, Mick.

Gerry