Installing a Desktop (X, Gnome, KDE)

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Aug 12 16:19:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 11:48, Matthew Benjamin wrote:
> Does anyone know of a simple way to install a Desktop to Fedora Core 1
> Linux? I originally built it as a server, but now I want to use it for
> development, however I don't want to reinstall. When I look for the
> packages for these there are many not to mention all of the
> dependencies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance,
> mattB.

Probably the easiest thing is to use the distribution CDs and run
redhat-config-packages ( I think that is correct for an FC1 system).
Then select the package groups you want to add such as GNOME or KDE and
the other development stuff.

After that you will want to run yum to update all of those packages to
the latest versions.  Yum will handle all the dependencies for the new
packages for you.

If you have not already make sure you configure yum to use a mirror
site, that will be much faster than the default redhat site.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>