OT- SCO - Mr. Enderle - Linux - Free Software.

Andrés González Cantú agc at member.fsf.org
Fri Aug 13 19:32:24 UTC 2004

El vie, 13-08-2004 a las 10:31, Edward Croft escribió:
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 11:17, Robin Laing wrote:
> > I found this from a link off of Slashdot and felt that it may be of
> > interest to many here.
> >
> > This isn't directed to Fedora but it covers Linux and Mr. Enderle's
> > view of Linux Users as not having a life.
> >
> > [quote]
> > There are people who get up every day, work a 9 to 5 and go home to
> > their families trading their lives for varying degrees of cash. In my
> > view, though clearly not theirs, they are selling their lives very
> > cheaply. These are wage slaves and the difference between
> > people like that and a zombie is generally lost on me.
> >
> > Do you realize that many, I'm not saying all or even most, of the
> > Linux supporters are like this, they have never coded anything in
> > their lives, have never even played a video game, in fact the only
> > reason they are supporting Linux is because it is a cause and their
> > life lacks one.
> >
> > That is an incredibly sad group of folks, and I wonder what their
> > reaction will be when they finally understand they are supporting
> > software and not the second coming.
> > [/quote]
> >
> > I find his comments are very demeaning and sound like those of a
> > desperate man.  He sounds like a man that is fighting to keep his head
> > above water while being dragged down by a weight that he doesn't want
> > to let go of.
> >
> > Details of his comments and an anylsis can be found on
> >
> > <http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20040812070059503>
> >
> > I for one use Linux because in my work and life, it is much more
> > stable than any Windows platform that I have tried.  Even better than
> > Win XP which gave me the BSOD on the first day of a new computer. :(
> >
> > The computer now is happy to be running FC1. :)
> >
> > --
> > Robin Laing
>
> Obviously, he doesn't know any real people who use Linux. For my part, I
> was a coder from 85, though mostly COBOL, Fortran and assembler. I can't
> remember ever working 9-5, more like 7:30-5 right now, though often
> after 5 and on call around the clock. As far as a video game, I remember
> when Duke Nukem was a two dimensional side scrolling game. Started
> playing games with Atari, and now have a library of PS2 games. I brew my
> own beer, can my own spaghetti sauce, and frankly have a life. I got
> into Linux because I was looking for an alternative to Windows. I run it
> both at work and home. Before that, I ran SCO and VMS at work. (We won't
> mention DG/AOS or DG/UX.)
>
> As Mark Twain said, "Keep away from people who try to belittle your
> ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you
> feel that you, too, can become great."
>
> --
> Edward M. Croft
> Sr. Systems Engineer
> Open Ratings, Inc.
> 200 West Street
> Waltham, MA 02451-1121

Dear Edward,

I agree with your post. What can I say of Mr. Enderle's comments?, mhhh:
"If the imbecils of this world could fly, we'll never see the sun
again".

Post scrptum: Excuse my mood, imbecility is not a sin, but a tragedy.
But, a deliberated mixture of imbecility, absolute ignorance and
"authority" is nauseating.

--
Andrés González Cantú
agc at member.fsf.org