camera no longer accessible by normal user

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Sat Aug 14 18:55:22 UTC 2004

After returning from holiday I wanted to do two things: update my fedora
box, and download the digital images from my camera.

The camera, a Kodak CX6200, used to work just fine using gtkam, but
after installing all the updates, now I get a message:
  An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'):
  Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no
  other program or kernel module (e.g. dc2xx or stv680) is using the
  device and you have read/write access to the device.

When running gtkam or gphoto2 as root, everything works fine, so there
is no hardware problem.

Have there been any usb-camera related changes in the recent kernel
updates or something similar? I have tried reinstalling gphoto2 and
gtkam but that didn't make any difference.

David Jansen