pop3/imap server - possibly stupid question

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Sun Aug 15 07:20:07 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 15.08.2004 schrieb Samuel Sieb um 5:31:
>

>>Ian Laurie wrote:
>>
>>>Am I correct in thinking you cannot retrieve root's email
>>>remotely from a Linux box using pop3 or imap, even when APOP
>>>authentication is active?
>>>
>>>It would make sense I suppose, my pop3 server works for
>>>all users except root.
>>>

>>On most current systems, root can't even get email, it gets redirected
>>to another user.  What mail server and pop server are you using?
>

> That is a bit curious and misleading answer. Of course root van get
> email.

Not entirely misleading.  Yes, you can send mail to root, but root may
not get it. :-)  I've only been using postfix, not sendmail, so that is
why my answer may have appeared misleading.  Here is a quote from the
postfix aliases file:

# For various security reasons, postfix WILL NOT deliver mail as root, so
# ensure that the root alias is aliased to a HUMAN user, as otherwise
# mail may get delivered to the $default_privs user (nobody).

Also, I'm using dovecot for pop3/imap, and similar to what you mention
in the other email, it is hard-wired to not allow root to login.