RH8 Question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Aug 19 04:25:54 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 19.08.2004 schrieb Didier Casse um 5:46:

> > Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13
> > Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
>
> I remembered you told me not to put ther kernel version in the mailing
> list, yet you have yours in every email you sent! :-)

> Didier.

I feel we have a classical misunderstanding. I guess you mean following
conversion:

You:
> > (didier at microtronyx:didier)$ uname -r
> >
> > 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

Me:
> Please don't make life not so easy for hackers! Update your kernel (as
> well as the other packages) to the current bugfixing secuirty update
> kernel .2199.

I really don't remember ever told anyone to cover the version of you
running kernel. Such a recommendation would make no sense. If you did
understand my hint from my annotation about your posting of the result
of "uname -r" as to hide any version information then you got it totally
wrong. And I really hope you meanwhile upgraded your kernel ;) Because
that was my point, to not run kernels with know security bugs which may
used by attackers to get control over your host. Hiding kernel version
information does not help.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 06:19:43 up 14 days, 23:47, load average: 0.23, 0.49, 0.42