Problems with Nvidia nvsound module

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Aug 24 12:04:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:31:19 +0100, Nick Pierpoint wrote:

> > No, they are left over from RHL9. With Fedora Core 2, there should be
> > entries which call alsactl to restore mixer settings made with
> > alsamixer. Clean up all sound/mixer related stuff in /etc/modprobe.conf
> > and rerun system-config-soundcard.
>
> I removed modules.conf and changed modprobe.conf to:
>
> # Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
> alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
> alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
> options ne irq=10
> alias eth0 nvnet
> alias usb-interface usb-ohci
> alias snd-card-0 nvsound
>
> Is this what you mean by "clean up all sound/mixer related stuff"?

Yes, except that you should delete the nvsound entry, too. First
objective should be to get the intel8x0 driver working as reference.
After that you can try installing the external nvsound driver.

> I tried also deleting the "alias snd-card-0" line but this stopped
> system-config-soundcard from starting at all.

Weird. If you have sound driver kernel modules loaded before starting
s-c-s, that likely causes problems or confuses it.

> When I run system-config-soundcard it doesn't seem to make any changes
> to modprobe.conf. Should it?

Yes.

> Anyway - same result as before - test
> sounds play fine but no joy with xmms or gnome-cd or any other player.

Test sound is played via /dev/dsp, which is an OSS compatible device.
Other players very likely use ALSA or a sound server which in turn
accesses ALSA device files.