New Fedora User Questions

Thinker thinker at thoughtprogress.com
Wed Aug 25 18:06:50 UTC 2004

On Aug 25, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:03:24PM -0400, Thinker wrote:
>> 1.  Rumor has it that Red Hat and Fedora are going to merge back into
>> one distro in the near future. Is this true, and if so, should I wait?
>
> Which rumor has this? Fedora Core is the basis for the enterprise
> products
> from Red Hat....

It was something I read in a magazine at BN. I may have misread it.

>> 2. Is there a way to do an ftp install of sorts with fedora, rather
>> than downloading all of the iso's and burning disks?
>
> Yes. Download a boot image, make a CD with just that, and choose FTP
> install. I do this all of the time.

I am assuming you mean an image that is about 20 or 30 MB or so. Where
do I find such a boot image? When I go to Fedora's site, all I get in
the way of downloading is this link which only has full ISO images.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/iso/

>> 3. What are the advantages of using Fedora over SuSE or Mandrake (in
>> the opinion of someone that has used all three recently, please).
>
> It's a nice, cutting edge distro that has a strong commitment to pure
> open
> source, and there's a solid community of users and developers. And, if
> you're used to Red Hat Linux, it's nice and familiar.

Sounds good. I am looking forward to playing with it. I'm currently
looking for something stable for use with applications at work.

Thanks again for your help.