Whats with the petty Open Source Pureness that has killed PWCX

Listman fedora at linsolutions.com
Sun Aug 29 01:53:37 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 21:44, William Hooper wrote:
> Listman said:
> > We are all being shafted in this one. For those of you like me that have
> > experienced high quality video courtesy of PWCX.....
> >
> > http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/
> >

> > Is their any way to talk some sense into the Kernel maintainers?
> >

> > What is next, don't allow nvidia driver to load?
>
> The author of that page specifically dismissed the option that nVidia uses
> (distribute their own hooks independent of the kernel).
>
> Binary-only drivers are a pain, no matter who they are from.  Bitch at
> Phillips for a) not releasing enough of the specs to write a truly open
> source driver or b) not producing their own driver.
>
> --
> William Hooper

You are totally off base here. I have to agree with the fact that
anything binary only is not optimum, but the reality is that is still
not practical. Since I have zero information about the attempts made by
the "Kernel Maintainers" to work with Phillips or any other vendor for
that matter, and an existing working arrangement was obviously in place
that was amicable to all parties before, who suffers here?

Sure, probably some over reacting going on here, but the only people
getting screwed are members of the Linux user community.

I can't see how that could possibly be good, no matter what the
circumstances.

Ted