Margins on Samsung printer [ advice is no help (8-( ]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 29 22:43:48 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> replied:

Jason L Tibbitts <tibbs at math.uh.edu> replied:
> One thing you can try is editing the PPD file.  I had an HP Laserjet
> 4050 with the same problem, fixed by editing the PPD and changing
> ImageableArea entries as appropriate to get things to fit.
>
> The PPD that cups is currently using should be in /etc/cups/ppd.

Thanks to you both.  Unfortunately

(1) Changing the margins using system-config-printer->queue->Queue Options
    doesn't change the ppd file /etc/cups/ppd/lp0.ppd (which I believe is
    cups control file for this printer).  The margins were set to 36 point
    when I started looking at them: I changed them to up to 144 points (which
    seems to be the max allowed) without any effect on printing or on lp0.ppd.
    Then I set them back to 36 pts.

(2) Editing the ppd file /etc/cups/ppd/lp0.ppd doesn't change printer
    behavion.  I rebooted the system just for good measure.  Here is the
    relevant change:

	$ diff -c /etc/cups/ppd/Samsung-ML-4500-gdi.ppd /etc/cups/ppd/lp0.ppd
	*** /etc/cups/ppd/Samsung-ML-4500-gdi.ppd   Thu Aug 26 22:46:09 2004
	--- /etc/cups/ppd/lp0.ppd                   Sun Aug 29 14:53:48 2004
	***************
	*** 143,147 ****
	  *DefaultImageableArea: Letter
	! *ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "0 0 612 792"
	  *ImageableArea A4/A4: "0 0 595 842"
	  *ImageableArea A5/A5: "0 0 420 595"
	  *ImageableArea A6/A6: "0 0 297 420"
	--- 143,147 ----
	  *DefaultImageableArea: Letter
	! *ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "10 9 592 771"
	  *ImageableArea A4/A4: "0 0 595 842"
	  *ImageableArea A5/A5: "0 0 420 595"
	  *ImageableArea A6/A6: "0 0 297 420"

Is /etc/cups/ppd/lp0.ppd the right file to look at?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks - jon