Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Mon Aug 30 02:27:00 UTC 2004

I'm testing out a machine that will become a file/print server for a few
Windows machines.  It's a fully updated FC2 smp machine running the FC2
samba rpms. I set it up using the quick install guide I found on the
Samba site.

It works, sort of.  The only client machine I have to test with at the
moment is another Linux machine running Nautilus to connect with the
Samba server.  After I reboot the server or restart the smb service, it
takes about 5-10 minutes for the server to show up in the client
Nautilus browser and another 15 minutes or so for the Samba shares to
appear.  After that the connection works fine.  I didn't put a stopwatch
to this so I could be off on these times.  But it takes awhile.

So my questions are
1) is this length of time to browse Samba shares normal?
2) can I do anything to significantly shorten this time?
3) can I expect similar performance with Windows clients?

Thank you!