Installing/storing on a USB external drive

Ken Wolman kwolman at sarnoff.com
Tue Aug 31 14:03:43 UTC 2004

Problem: I had been able to install "standard" Red Hat on a somewhat
aging Celeron with a 10GB hard drive to which I added a Maxtor 40GB USB
2.0 external drive.  Partition Magic "liked" the external, too.  It
seems that whatever I'm doing wrong, Fedora 2 will not recognize that
there is a USB 2.0 disk.

I'd cleared about 125 MB on the original disk for /boot storage with the
intention of loaded the other material on the USB disk.  No such luck if
Fedora can't seem to find the drive.

What am I not doing that I should be doing?

Many thanks.

Ken