to clone or not to clone that is the question

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Sun Aug 1 15:07:32 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Just because of interest: what does g4u do different than dd?

Well it all comes down to the fact that I'm not that familiar with dd
when it comes to cloning harddrives. It's probably as easy as dd
if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb. In fact, g4u uses dd as well. And it compresses
and puts the image on an ftp server. And it uses a bootable NetBSD disk
(either floppies or a CD iso). Except I don't have to see all this, and
have to type all the commands (or make a script for it).

So it all basically is because I'm lazy. And the fact that I don't have
to teach those who were helping me. They just boot of a CD, and then
type slurpdisk server image.gz.

It's just fun to use some new tool =)

dex