to clone or not to clone that is the question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Aug 1 16:03:03 UTC 2004

Am So, den 01.08.2004 schrieb Dexter Ang um 17:07:

> > Just because of interest: what does g4u do different than dd?
>
> Well it all comes down to the fact that I'm not that familiar with dd
> when it comes to cloning harddrives. It's probably as easy as dd
> if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb. In fact, g4u uses dd as well. And it compresses
> and puts the image on an ftp server. And it uses a bootable NetBSD disk
> (either floppies or a CD iso). Except I don't have to see all this, and
> have to type all the commands (or make a script for it).
>
> So it all basically is because I'm lazy. And the fact that I don't have
> to teach those who were helping me. They just boot of a CD, and then
> type slurpdisk server image.gz.
>
> It's just fun to use some new tool =)
>
> dex

Thanks Dexter for explanation and your point of view. g4u sounds not
that bad and it is free software

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

I think I'll test it if I have an opportunity.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 17:58:57 up 23:23, 9 users, 0.87, 1.04, 1.14