Can't get DUMP to work remotely on FC1 .

Brad Alpert balpert at FortBradford.com
Sun Aug 1 17:13:14 UTC 2004

I'm running FC1 2.4.22-1.2197.nptlsmp on a Dell Precision 530 with
dual P4's.  The hostname of this systems is main1.  This system has
a working Compaq DLT4000 which works great locally, using
dump/restore.  The controller for this drive is an Initio 9200,
which is a SCSI U/W device.

The problem is that I am unsuccessful in my attempts to backup up my
file server named ns1, which is an rh9 machine.  I am pretty sure
the problem lies somewhere in the pam authentication stuff, and I
have made various changes to /etc/securetty, /etc/pam.d/login, etc.,
all to no avail.  The error message which results from the command,
run on ns1, "/sbin/dump -0uf main1:/dev/st0 /" occurs in the
messages file on main1, is:  Aug  1 10:42:27 ns1
login(pam_unix)[30063]: auth could not identify password for
[main1].

"root", "login", "rexec", and "rlogin" are present in /etc/securetty
on main1 (the backup machine), along with all the tty?'s.
/etc/pam.d/login contains on the backup machine contains:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       optional     pam_nologin.so
auth       optional     pam_securetty.so
auth       optional     pam_stack.so    service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   optional     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     pam_console.so

hosts.allow on main1 has ALL:   ALL
I have gotten dump to work remotely from rh9 to rh9, but can't seem
to get it going from rh9 to fc1.

Anybody done this who might have a hint or two?

Thanks.

Brad Alpert