not Re: yum exclude?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 1 19:07:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:31:18PM -0700, George Crum wrote:
> Dave,
> You've forgotten to clean out the old /home directory
> before you mounted the new one over it.  Even though
> your old /home directory, on your / drive, is no
> longer in use it still has all those files taking up
> space.
>
> umount new /home and remount it as /mnt
> mount old /home and copy your files to /mnt
> delete files in old /home
> mount new /home
>
> > reboot, but that hasn't changed anything.
> > Ideas?

Given the confusion that seems to be going on do something like
this:
   mkdir /newhome
Add an fstab line something like this for the new disk.

   /dev/hdb1    /newhome             ext3    defaults        1 2

Now make sure that /home and /newhome are as expected.
i.e. make sure you have not removed files you do not
have copies of.

Next swap the rename the old /home dir to /oldhome or some such thing.
i.e. edit fstab to mount the old home space as /oldhome and the
new as /newhome.

 i.e. do not mount /home as /home yet.  Let it be an empty dir
 or mount point.  Just mount /oldhome and /newhome

If you have fstab lines like this you may find that you
can be confused about the physical device under things.

   LABEL=/home  /home   ext3    defaults        1 2

The above is important because a partition label can cause confusion.

You can orient yourself with tricks like "df ."

    $ cd /home
    $ df .
    /dev/hda5             10713248    247936   9921096   3% /home

When you have /oldhome and /newhome clearly identified and labeled
then fix things so that /newhome is /home.  Check and verify...
perhaps with:

    $ diff -d /home /oldhome

When all is right in /home remove /oldhome you can recover the space.
If it is an isolated partition removing the files will not 'add space'
to /.

If you have multiple users.  You can consider keeping the /oldhome
partition as say /homeA and move some users there.  I happen
to have collected  a lot of stuff in my 'src' dir.  In the past
I have made a link to another partition for bloat stuff like that.
Same for system documentation...  "df -s /* " might give you
a good choice of stuff to move.   Recall that some things
are best located in the / files system.

The goal of the above is to be cautious so the recovery CD
lets you recover by simply undoing a single step.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.