July 2004 Mailing List Stats

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 2 00:03:07 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 12:42, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>>But note that evolution as a whole is even larger.
>> 2125          Ximian Evolution
>>  130           Evolution 1.5.9.1
>>  56            Evolution 1.5.90
>>  37            Evolution 1.5.9.2
>>
>>Personally, the move of evolution from Ximian to Novell leaves me up in the air about whether I will continue to use it.
>>

>I have had similar thoughts.  For the moment I use evolution 1.4.5 on an
>RH8.0 system as my main email server.  (don't throw things please! :)
>
>For now it is working just fine.  And I have numerous filters setup that
>have been doing an excellent job keeping my email sorted and processed.
>
>Been wanting to take a look at Mozilla and Thunderbird to see if they
>will do everything I need but have not made the time yet.  I also want
>to make sure I can import all the stuff I have saved without problems.
>
>I believe I heard that updated versions of evolution are being included
>in Fedora but the link to Novell just makes me think that at some point
>they will pull support for other distributions in an attempt to
>differentiate their distribution and gain market and money.

I like mozilla as a mailer and use it frequently. Thunderbird is pretty
similar to mozilla but I like the customary composer, mail client and
web browser over seperated applications.
I don't like to have to sort my mail and rather like having a lot of
different subaccounts for different mailing lists, personal and business
purposes. It is less confusing to me and is not effected by factors like
mail lists changing domains or titles.

Regarding Novell owning Ximian now. I think that their main goal is in
gaining marketshare taken from them by underhanded tricks by Microsoft.
I think if they alienated the users of competing or "just different"
versions of Linux, the alienation from the community would be of little
service to the company.

Just my opinion, though Evo is too much like Outlook for my tastes in an
email client.
Jim