Install X after a minimal installation

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 17:26:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 11:31, robin-lists at robinbowes.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a minimal install on my Core 2 box as I will be mainly using this
> machine as a server but I'd like to play around a little with Xorg.
>
> I've tried installing the necessary packages to get X working and succeeded
> last night, but today when I try to launch X using "startx" it starts
> briefly (I see the mouse cursor) then switches back to the console. There
> don't appear to be any errors anywhere (I checked in /var/log/Xorg.0.log).
>
> Can anyone point me at a guide that will tell me which packages to install
> to get X working? Or some other trouble-shooting guide?
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.
> --
> http://robinbowes.com
It appears that maybe X is starting but you are being dropped back into
say tty1 because of no Xserver.

1) Try alt+F7 after starting to see if there is any video at all. (My
system will display the video BIOS startup text)

2) What Xserver are you using kde gdm ......

3) Modify Xorg.conf for minimal video settings. (Bad settings should
have given an error)

Try; (I am not sure of these, but should force installation of
dependencies)
 yum -t -y install kdebase
 yum -t -y install gnome-session

--