Hello plus question

Steven Hodgen shodgen at solomonschool.com
Mon Aug 2 20:28:01 UTC 2004

I'm new to this list, so "Hello!"

I'm currently in the process of discussing the possibility of turning our
school into a Linux based school, with lab and office computers running
Linux.  I'm seriously considering using Fedora, because it seems to have
pretty up to date desktop packages, looks nice, and the install has a good
selection of packages as is.

The Principal of the school has a serious eyesight problem, and must use
screen magnification software to use his computer.  For windows, decent
full-screen magnification packages cost, at least, $400.  he currently uses
a package called ZoomText 7.1, which originally cost him $395.  How they
have an update that's another $150.  Shortly another update that costs even
more is coming out.  On one level, I can see how a company who's only
product is a screen magnifier would need to charge a bit to stay in
business, since it's a vertical market, but still...

I opened the Assistive Technology Support preferences box, enabled support,
but the Magnifier and Screen Reader choices are grayed out.  I did a little
digging, and it seems that gnopernicus must be installed.  Based on further
research, it would seem that this package is part of the 'core 2' system,
but it doesn't appear to be available in the Add/Remove Programs (Package
Manager?) tool.  I've checked the details for every category, and nothing.

Can anyone help me find this, since having decent screen magnification will
definitely influence his opinion.

Thanks!!
--Steven