tar question

Michael Sullivan michael at espersunited.com
Mon Aug 2 20:32:49 UTC 2004

I've set up a script that backs up the entire /home folder into a file
labeled with the computer name and the date the file was made.  This
works well, but takes up a lot of space, and only two days worth of
archives fit on a single CD.  I know how I want to remedy the situation,
but I don't know how to script it.  Here's what I want to do:  On Sunday
I want the whole /home folder backed up into its own file.  On Monday
through Saturday I want only the files that have changed since the last
backup backed up into their own files, one for each day.  That should
make seven files that are small enough to fit onto one CD.  One CD per
week.  Is it possible to do it this way, and if so, how would I do it?
I do a lot of programming, so I need separate backup archives so that I
can access an older version of a particular file if need be...