Change boot Kernel

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Mon Aug 2 20:36:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:32:20 -0700, "Steven Hodgen" <shodgen at solomonschool.com>
wrote:

>Oh yes, one more thing.
>
>Shortly after installing Fedora, the automatic update system let me upgrade
>the Kernel from 2.5.* to 2.6.*.  Now, when I boot, it gives me a choice on
>which to boot with, but it always defaults to the old one.  How can I change
>which Kernel is default.
>
>Additionally, can I simply remove the older one?
>
>I'm certain these are extremely basic questions, but I'm a poor slovenly
>newbie.
>
>Thanks! :-)
>
>--Steven

Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and set the line "default=" to the kernel you want
to be the default. Usually, the RPM process puts the newest at the top, so it
would be "default=0".

Once you know it's working, get a list of installed kernels with

rpm -qa |grep kernel

Then, delete the ones you want to remove with

rpm -e kernel-xxx.yyy.zzz

Make sure you don't remove the last one!

--
   Steve