Hello plus question

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Aug 2 20:59:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 15:32, James Marcinek wrote:
> For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I'm new to this list, so "Hello!"
> >
> > I'm currently in the process of discussing the possibility of turning our
> > school into a Linux based school, with lab and office computers running
> > Linux.  I'm seriously considering using Fedora, because it seems to have
> > pretty up to date desktop packages, looks nice, and the install has a good
> > selection of packages as is.
>
> Fedora might be good for the desktop; however you might want to consider
> something like White Box Enterprise Linux (Open Source version of Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 3.0) as a server based solution.
>
> http://whiteboxlinux.org/
>

> > The Principal of the school has a serious eyesight problem, and must use
> > screen magnification software to use his computer.  For windows, decent
> > full-screen magnification packages cost, at least, $400.  he currently uses
> > a package called ZoomText 7.1, which originally cost him $395.  How they
> > have an update that's another $150.  Shortly another update that costs even
> > more is coming out.  On one level, I can see how a company who's only
> > product is a screen magnifier would need to charge a bit to stay in
> > business, since it's a vertical market, but still...
> >
> > I opened the Assistive Technology Support preferences box, enabled support,
> > but the Magnifier and Screen Reader choices are grayed out.  I did a little
> > digging, and it seems that gnopernicus must be installed.  Based on further
> > research, it would seem that this package is part of the 'core 2' system,
> > but it doesn't appear to be available in the Add/Remove Programs (Package
> > Manager?) tool.  I've checked the details for every category, and nothing.
> >
> > Can anyone help me find this, since having decent screen magnification will
> > definitely influence his opinion.
>
> You might have to look browse on the CD for the rpm that you're looking for:
>
> ls |grep -i gnopernicus
>
> Once you find it just install it via the rpm command:
>
> rpm -Uvh <the_name_goes_here>
>
> HTH-
>
> James

That will probably not work well.  gnopernicus has a dependency on
gnome-speech, and thus yum install (with a proper yum.conf) will handle
the dependencies much better than trying it by hand.

I checked the install CDs and gnopernicus is located on CD #3, so if
Steven is comfortable with handling rpm and dependencies then he can go
for it that way.