UW Imap FC! to Cryus-imapd FCD broken E-mail

James Marcinek jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Mon Aug 2 21:18:46 UTC 2004

> When I upgraded from FC1 to FC2 it installed cyrus-imap..which broke my
> pop3/imap clients.
> I spent a day off and on trying to get it working. How do I get my pop3
> working again?

Is uw-imap still installed? If so is the daemon running? Use the chkconfig
command to find out...

> FC2 sendmail squirrellmail . No LDAP ..saslauthd and cyrus-imapd are
> started and running.
>
> Sendmail is receiving ok..I just can't get authorized from clients (
> thunderbird , OE .Outloook)

Sendmail must be configured to use cyrus-imapd instead of uw-imapd. I've done it
before; however I ended up moving from both Sendmail and uw-imapd in favor of
Postfix and cyrus-imapd. I did it from a cold start because I got tired of
trying to remember how I had got it to work in the first place... To be honest,
using postfix is much easier to configure than sendmail... I installed the
postfix, read the configuration requirements (which does not require a great
deal of time like Sendmail does. I have a huge O'Reilly book for configuring
Sendmail...).

I also moved from Squirrelmail to OpenGroupware (http://www.opengroupware.org
and http://www.exchangekiller.com ). The cyrus-imapd saves the file in a
database versus appending each mail to each other. It only took me about 2 hours
to complete the transition. If you decide to use cyrus, you'll have to install
the devel tools to convert your old mail. The most difficult was this task and
it was only because I had not done this before.

Now with that said, I would first see if your rpm is installed. Did they change
the name of the imapd rpm that comes with fedora? I was under the impression
that it was not too cyrus, only that it was available. If cyrus is installed I
would check to see what imapd is running using the chkconfig command...

Sendmail can definitely be a pain but the default config doesn't require much
changes. I ran into problems when I had to move off the uw-imapd to cyrus
(better functionality for the OpenGroupware). I had it running but I did
something and never got it to work right (that's what happens when you work when
you should be sleeping!).

> I  tried using pam ..NG...
> It's currently using shadow by default.
>
> I read the docs but can't get things working...,
>
> Is there something I'm overlooking?

did you modify your sendmail.mc (and compile using the m4 macro to use cyrus)?

HTH-

james