TCP/IP over FireWire

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Aug 2 21:23:53 UTC 2004

J.L. Coenders wrote:
> I know, but I found a site about it (http://www.linux1394.org/eth1394.php)
> which states it isn't very stable. However, I was wondering if anyone knows
> how stable it is, what is the current issues are, etc.
> The thing is I have a laptop which has FireWire and I would like fast
> transferring from it to my main computer. My laptop doesn't have a gigabit
> connection... yet ;)

Bottom post, please.

I have no idea how stable it is.  I've looked at the RFC in the past,
but I really can't see any huge benefits to using it.  Yes, I suppose
you could use a 1394 hub to emulate a network, but I'd be really
worried about contention, collisions and whatnot.  1394 was intended to
be point-to-point, while TCP/IP is intended for networks.

100MB or gigabit is really the way to go.  Most newer laptops have
100Base-T NICs.  You can get gigabit using a PCMCIA card.

> On Monday 02 August 2004 08:27 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>J.L. Coenders wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>Does any of you have experience with TCP/IP over FireWire?
>>>I am thinking about buying a firewire card for my desktop to connect it
>>>to my laptop to have a fast connection.
>>
>>Firewire is not a network media, although you could do iSCSI over it
>>(SCSI tunneled through TCP).  You'd be better off using gigabit LAN
>>cards and a CAT5e or CAT6 MDIX cable.
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -