tar question

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 2 21:39:14 UTC 2004

Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I've set up a script that backs up the entire /home folder into a file
> labeled with the computer name and the date the file was made.  This
> works well, but takes up a lot of space, and only two days worth of
> archives fit on a single CD.  I know how I want to remedy the situation,
> but I don't know how to script it.  Here's what I want to do:  On Sunday
> I want the whole /home folder backed up into its own file.  On Monday
> through Saturday I want only the files that have changed since the last
> backup backed up into their own files, one for each day.  That should
> make seven files that are small enough to fit onto one CD.  One CD per
> week.  Is it possible to do it this way, and if so, how would I do it?
> I do a lot of programming, so I need separate backup archives so that I
> can access an older version of a particular file if need be...

Tar is one of those commands that has a very brief man page and a vastly
larger and more detailed info. It has been several years since I looked
but I think that if you'll browse through "info tar" you'll find an
example for what you want/need to do. Also, you might want to look for
script "back2cd". It appeared in a magazine a couple years ago but I
have managed to Google only broken links.  (I probably have a copy of it
in my old RH6.0 archive if you can't find it on the net.)

--
Life is a POPULARITY CONTEST!  I'm REFRESHINGLY CANDID!!

  16:36:00  up 7 days, 19:47,  9 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.12, 0.14
      One billion seconds ago it was 13:49:20 CST Fri 11/24/72

Repeat after me: "The primary purpose of any government
entity is to employ the unemployable."