Increasing the maximum number of open files

Rainer Traut rainer.traut at epost.de
Tue Aug 3 07:09:55 UTC 2004

Hi,

J.L. Coenders wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have a program which tells me it needs more open files than the system can
> handle.
> When I do nlimit -n, it tells me I have 1024 files max. How do you increase
> this number, permanently? I found some stuff about
> changing /etc/security/limits.conf and /etc/pam.d/gdm and some others, but
> that doesn't really work. It's probably some simple trick and I remember
> something alike before, but I cannot remember how it was done.
> I use FC2 with KDE.

/etc/security/limits.conf is the right place:
[root at asp5 root]# cat /etc/security/limits.conf |grep nofile
#        - nofile - max number of open files
notes           soft    nofile          90000
notes           hard    nofile          90000
[root at asp5 root]# su - notes
[notes at asp5 notes]$ ulimit -a|grep files
open files                    (-n) 90000

Rainer