mp3 splitter for linux

Andrés González Cantú agc at member.fsf.org
Tue Aug 3 09:54:18 UTC 2004

El mar, 03-08-2004 a las 03:56, Bruno Santos escribió:
> Hello All. I know this is not the right place for this question, but im
> tired to search and i cant find anything for linux.
>
> I want a program to splitt a mp3 file that i have (that is the entire
> album) into smaller pieces. the problem is, all the programs ive seen
> just allow to splitt by track time, and all the same lenght, and the
> tracks are not all with the same lenght.
>
> can someone knows any program that allow to split, by a dead time (when
> the music ends there is a small time with no sound ) ???
>
> cheers
>
> Bruno

Dear friend,

After an rpm -q split search in Fedora Core 2, I found that the program
isn't installed.

In my Debian GNU/Linux (Sarge) is a default command. Today, with the
every day growing hardware capabilities it is rarely used. In the "good
old times" (:-) it was a very useful command.

Let us soppose that you have a very "big" .mp3 sound file of circa 4.3
Mb and you want to transfer it from your desktop to your laptop, your
desktop and laptop aren't connected to a net and your laptop hasn't a
cdrom (A very unusual situation nowadays).

The solution was very simple:

$ split -b1m big.mp3 big.mp3 [RET]

This command creat 4 new files: 3 of 1 MB and 1 with the rest.

You can then copy the first 3 files in 3 floppys (1.44 MB) and the last
one with the rest.

Copy them all to your laptop and then reconstruct the original file with
the cat command:

$ cat big.mp3* > big.mp3 [RET]
$ rm big.mp3* [RET]

This last step is only to save space after the original file has been
reconstructed.

Post scriptum: Ok, I know that this is a Fedora Core mail list, but all
we are members of the GNU/Linux brotherhood, :-). And, by the way, I
only use Ogg Vorbis psico-acustic lossy compresion algorithm.

Regards,

--
Andrés González Cantú
agc at member.fsf.org