Kernel build question

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 3 11:16:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Edwin Dicker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I only unserstand some basics of kernel compiling. I understand that the
> kernel source RPM comes with some configs for compiling the kernel. What I
> would like to know is: Is the kernel binary RPM compiled with one of the
> configs which are present in the kernel source RPM ?

on a fresh system, there's a good chance that the associated config
file is actually in /boot, with the name config-<whatever version>.
at least, that's a good place to start.

rday

p.s.  the 2.6 kernel comes with a config option to bury the config
file inside the actual kernel itself.  IIRC, to get at that file,
you'd use a utility called extract-ikconfig.