Is there anyway I could boot linux faster

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 12:16:46 UTC 2004

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> A monitor uses approximately 100-150W of power. An idle computer with a
> couple of drives running, uses 40-60W. A 28" TV uses 100-150W or so, so I
> doubt your values.
>
> My values come from a power meter I have that I can plug between the
> outlet and any device, it gives current load and also meters the number of
> kW since it last was reset.

I suspect you have a low-power computer by today's standards. They may
not use the 250 W or 400 W indicated by the power supply (a number that
is both "theoretical" in that it can only be obtained under certain
circumstances, and fictional in that they're usually built to price, not
build quality, and the manufacturers know they're unlikely to be found
out), but thopse figures aren't always that far out.

A modern Pentium 4 CPU, on its own, will often take more than your 60 W,
and the PSUs are rarely that efficient. And of course, there are drives,
up to four or five fans, and the rest of the PC to consider.

All this only serves to illustrate your real point, of course: modern
PCs are not normally low-power devices.

James
(whose firm had to massively upgrade the air-conditioning in the server
room last year because the existing unit couldn't keep up. Most of our
servers are PC based, and we're not in a part of the world where air-
conditioning is normally needed).

--
E-mail address: james@ | ... and watched Richard Stallman ask one of the
westexe.demon.co.uk    | waiting staff whether the spring rolls did indeed