building a 2.6 kernel

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 3 12:47:15 UTC 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    to the previous post re: building a kernel, the most important
> information to remember is to move the kernel source out from under
> that silly /usr/src/linux directory and (if you have the room) to
> somewhere under your home directory.

Why?
This strikes me as completely unnecessary.

If you download the kernel source, eg from www.kernel.org,
it will un-tar in /usr/src/linux-2.6.7 or whatever.
You can change the ownership of this directory to yourself if you wish.
(I always do.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366