building a 2.6 kernel

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Aug 3 14:26:10 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 03.08.2004 schrieb Robert P. J. Day um 15:54:

> >>    to the previous post re: building a kernel, the most important
> >> information to remember is to move the kernel source out from under
> >> that silly /usr/src/linux directory and (if you have the room) to
> >> somewhere under your home directory.
> >
> > Why?
> > This strikes me as completely unnecessary.
> >
> > If you download the kernel source, eg from www.kernel.org,
> > it will un-tar in /usr/src/linux-2.6.7 or whatever.
> > You can change the ownership of this directory to yourself if you wish.
> > (I always do.)
>
> simply because there's little reason for any regular user to be doing
> work anywhere under the /usr directory.  it goes back to my point
> about being able to mount /usr readonly, if you can make that work.

Robert, you are right. Do as less as root as necessary/possible. To cite
the README from the kernel source:

"To do the actual install you have to be root, but none of the normal
build should require that. Don't take the name of root in vain."

What I actually think of is your suggestion to ro mount the
/usr/partition. Seems to me it is conflicting with prelinking, isn't it?

> the same logic applies to customizing your session so you can build
> RPMS under your home directory.  there's little reason to keep working
> under /usr if you don't have to.

Right. I already though whether it might be useful if an installation of
the rpm-build RPM shouldn't invoke the adding of a new user with the
purpose to be the rpm-build user, with a preset rpmbuild environment. I
think the existence of the /usr/src/redhat tree leads to the fact, that
many people (if not most) are building packages as root.

> rday

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 16:14:13 up 2 days, 21:39, load average: 0.45, 0.30, 0.26