Arrgh! Compaq kernel panic after install

David Nedrow listbox at nedron.net
Tue Aug 3 20:25:12 UTC 2004

On a Compaq Proliant DL360, I can install Fedora Core 2 without a
problem. However, on the first boot (and any subsequent boot), the
kernel panics when trying to open the root device.

Basically, here's the output:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Red Hat nash version 3.5.22 starting
Mounted /proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs
Creating block devices
VFS: Cannot open roo device "LABEL=/" or unknown block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I suspect that the cpqarray driver is not loading. Is there a way in
grub to instruct the kernel (or mod-utils) to load a specifc driver
during boot?

-David