Graphics Card or Monitor problem, how to fix?

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 3 20:54:57 UTC 2004

On Aug 3, 2004 at 10:55, Steven Hodgen in a soothing rage wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've installed Fedora on an old Dell Dimension L566cx.  It has the onboard
>video, which is an Intel 810, and the 17" monitor that comes with it.  My
>problem is that the screen flickers VERY badly, even in low-res modes like
>640x480.  I thought that perhaps the video circuitry was having issues, or
>the monitor, so I tried swapping the HD with an identical system, and using
>a different monitor.  Both the alternate computer and monitor work perfectly
>in Windows 2K.  I've looked at the refresh rate chosen in different modes,
>and they seem fine.  Even 60Khz doesn't look this bad on Windows.
>
>Any thoughts on what could be wrong and how I can fix it.  As I've mentioned
>before, I'm trying to push for our lab to be a Linux lab, but this one issue
>will blow my chances.
How much ram does the graf card use? How many colours are you
using? You might have to dedicate more ram to the card. You
should also post the section of XFree86.0.log/Xorg.0.log from
/var/log that states what resolution is being used.

N.Emile...
Man has never reconciled himself to the ten commandments.
 16:02:47  up 36 days,  9:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.04, 0.01