building a 2.6 kernel

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 3 21:55:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> (2) I actually have a /usr/src partition,
> so the disaster you envisage could not occur.

   and, just to be thoroughly pedantic, you needed root privilege just
to give yourself non-root access to that partition.  also, if you have
multiple users who want to be playing with the same kernel source
tree, they just have to make sure they don't clash with directory
names under /usr/src if they don't want to step on each other.  not a
big deal, but just something to deal with.

   i don't understand -- configuring and building kernels as a non-root
user in one's home directory is a well-established tradition, and
generally recommended.  why are you so bitterly opposed to it?  your
objections seem to be kind out of proportion to what is a fairly tame
practice.

rday