pcnet_cs device eth0 does not seem to be present

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Aug 4 11:37:27 UTC 2004

Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

>After I install Fedora Core 2 onto my laptop, Sharp PC-FJ120R, I found
>that the Fedora failed to detect the PCMCIA ethernet card. On the boot
>process, it show the error message "pcnet_cs device eth0 does not seem
>to be present".
>
>I am using Sharp PC-FJ120R with a Kingsoft PCMCIA ethernet card. I
>though it is because Fedora lack the driver of the ethernet card. But my
>friend said that the machine works well with Redhat 7.0......
>
>Any suggestions?

Comment out the pcnet_cs entry in /etc/modprobe.conf, and set ONBOOT=no
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, and reboot.  Actually an
'rmmod pcnet_cs' and 'service pcmcia restart' should work in lieu of
rebooting.

The problem is your ethernet pcmcia card driver module is being loaded
before pcmcia is started and the card controller module is loaded.  This
fails to work of course, and the later starting of pcmcia fails because
the controller module conflicts with the already loaded card driver.
The two changes above remedy the order things start in, and you will
find that the ethernet interface does get started automatically at boot,
because once pcmcia is started the card is detected and the interface
for it is started.

Chris